New Japan Pro Wrestling commentator Kevin Kelly recently discussed the state of NJPW’s Wrestle Kingdom 15 event. The two night shows take place on January 4th and 5th, with some massive bouts confirmed for both nights. Kelly appeared on Wrestling Observer Radio to talk about recent news surrounding the show.
Although the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has caused issues regarding event attendance? Kevin Kelly confirmed that the shows would be going ahead, with or without a crowd in attendance at the Tokyo Dome.
Kevin Kelly on COVID Restrictions
‘It’s not going to affect the event itself. Wrestle Kingdom will happen regardless if Japan calls a state of emergency’ Kelly stated. ‘The only question will be if fans are allowed to attend. So, there was already going to be a limited number and we haven’t heard today what is the latest [regarding attendance]. Best case scenario? It happens with limited fans, and worse case? It happens but with no fans in attendance.’
‘The government is shut down and won’t re-open until the 5th’ Kevin Kelly would continue. ‘I think that they might put more restrictions on restaurants and bars? But they’ve already got it capped so low. There hasn’t been one case, thank god, of COVID that has been attributed to any New Japan event. They know exactly who has attended a New Japan event and whether or not they’ve gotten sick, and no one has been so far.’
Here’s the current card for Night 1 of Wrestle Kingdom 15 in the Tokyo Dome.
- IWGP Heavyweight and Intercontinental Championship Match – Tetsuya Naito (c) vs. Kota Ibushi
- Kazuchika Okada vs. Will Ospreay
- Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. The Great-O-Khan.
- IWGP US Championship Right To Challenge Contract Match – KENTA (h) vs. Satoshi Kojima
- IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Title Match – Zack Sabre Jr. and Taichi vs. Tama Tonga and Tanga Loa
- Hiromu Takahashi vs. El Phantasmo
- (Pre-Show) The New Japan Rambo
Also Check Out: