Night 1 of NJPW’s Wrestle Kingdom 15 was headlined by the IWGP Heavyweight and Intercontinental Championship match. Tetsuya Naito would defend against Kota Ibushi, with the winner going on to face Jay White on Night 2.
Ibushi had previously earned the right to this match by winning the 2020 G1 Climax; however he subsequently lost to Jay White at Power Struggle 2020, meaning thatÂ officiallyÂ he had lost the right to challenge for the belts at Wrestle Kingdom.
Ibushi said before Wrestle Kingdom how important it was for him to defeat both Naito and White. “To hold both of those titles, and beat Tetsuya Naito to do it? That makes me hotter than ever. Beating Jay White on top of that? That wipes out that 2020 record, wipes out those three losses [to Jay White]. I think I really could become God at that point.’
Result – Kota Ibushi becomes the double Champion! Finally! After one final Komagoye, The Golden Star achieves his greatest accomplishment
Wrestle Kingdom Night 1
Here’s the full card for Night 1 of Wrestle Kingdom 15 in the Tokyo Dome.
- IWGP Heavyweight and Intercontinental Championship Match ’“ Tetsuya Naito (c) vs. Kota Ibushi
- Kazuchika Okada vs. Will Ospreay
- Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. The Great-O-Khan.
- IWGP US Championship Right To Challenge Contract Match ’“ KENTA (h) vs. Satoshi Kojima
- IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Title Match ’“ Zack Sabre Jr. and Taichi vs. Tama Tonga and Tanga Loa (Guerillas of Destiny)
- Hiromu Takahashi vs. El Phantasmo
- (Pre-Show) The New Japan Rambo
Here’s the International Start Times for Night 1:
- Jan 3 11:00 pm (PST)
- 2:00 am (EST)
- 7:00 am (GMT)
Also Check Out:
- Kota Ibushi on Winning at Wrestle Kingdom ’“ ‘I Really Could Become God At That Point’
- Jay White ’“ ‘I’ve Been In Japan Too Long. I’m Taking Those Belts and Going Home’
- Former Premier League Footballer at 200/1 To Win The WWE Royal Rumble
- Tetsuya Naito Talks Criticisms of His ’˜Dangerous’ In-Ring Style
- Katsuyori Shibata’s In-Ring Status and NJPW LA Dojo
- Kevin Kelly Confirms That NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15 Will Still Go Ahead