Former UFC Light Heavyweight and Heavyweight Champion Daniel Cormier recently discussed the main event of UFC Fight Night this past weekend. Max Holloway faced Calvin Kattar and put on one of the most impressive performances in MMA history; with the Featherweight great taking a unanimous decision victory after 5 rounds.
There were calls during the fight for either the referee or Calvin Kattar’s corner to stop proceedings. DC himself mentioned during the live broadcast in the fourth round that it needed to be stopped; with Kattar taking heavy damage from Holloway’s impressive boxing.
Daniel Cormier on Herb Dean
Fans and critics alike have asked why referee Herb Dean nor Kattar’s corner stopped the fight. “It’s a very difficult call to make as a corner” Daniel Cormier stated on the DC & Helwani podcast. “People talk about Herb [Dean] at times, not doing what he needs to do. Herb could have stopped that fight, but we get so upset when they stop [fights early] sometimes. Kalvin Cattar always started punching, right? So that’s what Herb sees. Herb sees the guy that he’s telling to work? Working. Or at least trying to stay within the fight.”
“So for me? I think that it was more on the corner to stop the fight” Daniel Cormier continued. “Calvin Kattar was always aware enough to follow Herb’s instructions, so he continued the fight. Now we know that Calvin Kattar and his corner, they’ve known each other forever. They love each other, they know their guy. You don’t know what their conversations are in regards to how you stop the fight. You saw what happened with Deontay Wilder, right? He fired the guy. Even though we all applauded the guy for doing it in a big moment when most people wouldn’t? He got fired.”
Fighter Fans Post Sponsors
Fighter Fans is proud to be sponsored by the following MMA and Boxing brands:
- Venom Drip Combat Sportswear ’“ Founded in 2011 in Central California. Venom Drip Combat Sportswear is a clothing brand. Geared toward fans and athletes of combat sports. But of course you do not have to be a fan or athlete of combat sports to rock our brand.
- Sidekick Boxing ’“ Developed by the company founder, Daniel Knight; who is a black belt in kickboxing and a team of manufacturing experts of over 20 years; Sidekick has rapidly earned a name of high quality kickboxing equipment with a real stylish look to hit the market. This success of our equipment grew us naturally into other combat sports and Sidekick became the equipment sponsor to many prestigious kickboxing and MMA promotions.
Also Check Out:
- BREAKING: Khabib Nurmagomedov Confirms He Wants To See ’˜Something Spectacular’ To Return To UFC
- Max Holloway on Conor McGregor Rematch ’“ ‘He Knows I’m Only a Call Away’
- UFC Fight Night on ABC 1 Live Results
- UFC Fight Night on ABC ’“ Fight Card, Betting Odds
- Calvin Kattar ’“ ‘I’m Planning on Fighting The Best Max Holloway’