UFC fighter Michael Chandler made a statement in his debut fight for the company. The former Bellator great took out Dan Hooker via TKO in the first round of their fight at UFC 257 this past weekend.
Following the fight, Chandler cut a ‘Ric Flair Like’ promo that saw him say he wants to challenge the heavy hitters in the UFC Lightweight division. ‘Iron’ Michael Chandler spoke to Jim Rome earlier this week and discussed the division as it stands.
Michael Chandler on Khabib
‘At this point, the performances that we both put on warrant that next title shot,’ Chandler stated on the show, saying that he wants the fight with Dustin Poirier next. ‘Khabib Nurmagomedov is the greatest to ever do it. But we all know he’s stepping away. Let’s let him step away, let’s relinquish the belt, let’s put it on the line between me and Dustin in the next quarter, and I promise you after that fight, I will be the UFC champion.’
Poirier however did say that he won’t be facing Chandler next. ‘It’s just my feelings toward the division and the sport,’ Poirier recently explained. ‘I lost to Khabib, I came out and put on a ’˜Fight of the Year’ for you guys, got my hand raised against a top-five opponent after that. Then I come in there and Khabib doesn’t want to come back, then I knock out one of the biggest fights you can get. I knock this guy out, too. Khabib reiterates he doesn’t want to fight any more ’“ dude, I’m the champ. I’m not going to fight, some ’“ and like I said, respect to Chandler ’“ a new guy to the UFC who just beat a guy that’s coming off a loss that I just beat for the belt. That’s not exciting to me.’
credit to MMAFighting for the transcription
Fighter Fans Post Sponsors
Fighter Fans is proud to be sponsored by the following MMA and Boxing brands:
- Venom Drip Combat Sportswear ’“ Founded in 2011 in Central California. Venom Drip Combat Sportswear is a clothing brand. Geared toward fans and athletes of combat sports. But of course you do not have to be a fan or athlete of combat sports to rock our brand.
- Sidekick BoxingÂ ’“ Developed by the company founder, Daniel Knight; who is a black belt in kickboxing and a team of manufacturing experts of over 20 years; Sidekick has rapidly earned a name of high quality kickboxing equipment with a real stylish look to hit the market. This success of our equipment grew us naturally into other combat sports and Sidekick became the equipment sponsor to many prestigious kickboxing and MMA promotions.
Also Check Out:
- Paige VanZant on Fighter’s UFC Pay ’“ ‘I Feel That We Do Need To Be Compensated More’
- UFC Fight Night ’“ Magny vs Chiesa on ESPN+ Live Results (20/01)
- Jon Anik ’“ ‘I Was Shaking After The Holloway/Kattar Fight’
- Daniel Cormier ’“ ‘It’s More On The Corner To Stop That Fight’
- Dana White Says That He Will Have Another Meeting With Khabib