The wrestling community has been abuzz with speculation and rumours surrounding the potential return of former world champion CM Punk to WWE.
This speculation has only intensified following a recent episode of SmackDown, where commentator Corey Graves made a statement that many believe was a nod to Punk.
CM Punk: Graves’ Intriguing Comment
During a segment discussing the World Heavyweight Title match between Seth Rollins and Shinsuke Nakamura, Corey Graves made a comment about Damian Priest, the current Mr Money in the Bank.
He stated, “The greatest trick the devil ever played was making the world forget that he existed.” This statement sent ripples through the wrestling world, as it bears a striking resemblance to a line CM Punk used in a past Ring of Honor promo and later during his AEW feud with MJF.
Graves Responds to the Buzz
In the wake of the online chatter, Graves took to Twitter to address the situation.
He shared a movie recommendation, suggesting fans watch ‘The Usual Suspects’. This was a clever way of pointing out that the ‘devil’ quote he used predates CM Punk’s use of it, as it was originally from the 1995 film ‘The Usual Suspects’.
Is CM Punk Returning to WWE?
Despite the ambiguity surrounding Graves’ comment, there are strong indications that CM Punk might be making his way back to WWE.
Dave Meltzer recently reported that sources close to Punk have claimed that he is in talks with WWE about a potential return.
Furthermore, Nick Hausman from Haus of Wrestling mentioned that a WWE insider believes it’s a “safe bet” that Punk will make an appearance at the upcoming Survivor Series event in Chicago.
Potential Hurdles for Punk’s Return
While the excitement around Punk’s potential return is palpable, there are also reports suggesting that there might be some bridges that need mending.
It’s been hinted that there are a couple of top WWE stars with whom Punk might need to reconcile to ensure a smooth comeback.
- Did Corey Graves reference CM Punk on SmackDown?
- Graves made a comment that many believe alluded to CM Punk, but he later pointed out its origin from the movie ‘The Usual Suspects’.
- Is CM Punk returning to WWE?
- Reports suggest that Punk is in talks with WWE, and there’s a possibility he might appear at the Survivor Series in Chicago.
- What was the comment Graves made on SmackDown?
- He said, “The greatest trick the devil ever played was making the world forget that he existed,” which many believe is a nod to CM Punk.
- Are there any issues between CM Punk and current WWE stars?
- There are rumours suggesting Punk might need to reconcile with a few top stars for a successful return.