The world of professional wrestling is no stranger to behind-the-scenes drama, and the recent allegations of WWE’s contract tampering have added fuel to the fire. Tony Khan, the CEO of AEW, has taken these allegations very personally, especially given the timing and the circumstances surrounding them.
Tony Khan’s recent outbursts on X (formerly known as Twitter) against WWE stalwarts like Triple H, Shawn Michaels, and Vince McMahon have caught the attention of many.
These outbursts were not just random jabs; they were deeply rooted in personal experiences. Khan revealed that during a challenging time when his mother was hospitalised, he received multiple calls from AEW talent alleging WWE’s attempts to induce them to break their contracts.
Such actions during a personal crisis made the competition between AEW and WWE deeply personal for Khan.
Tony Khan: The Mayo Clinic
Khan’s mother’s hospitalisation at the Mayo Clinic was a pivotal moment for him. He expressed his gratitude towards the clinic for saving his mother’s life and highlighted how, during this challenging period, he was informed about WWE’s alleged tampering with AEW contracts.
This incident was not just a one-off; Khan had mentioned it previously, emphasising the significance of the date as it marked one year since his mother’s surgery.
WWE’s Alleged Approaches
In August 2022, rumours surfaced that WWE had approached several AEW stars about potentially switching sides. These approaches reportedly began shortly after Triple H’s appointment as WWE’s Chief Content Officer.
AEW’s legal team, in response, is believed to have reached out to WWE, urging them to halt such advances, according to a previous report from Fightful Select.
Specific Incidents of Tampering
Sean Ross Sapp of Fightful Select shed light on two specific instances of alleged contract tampering. The first involved Swerve Strickland, who had recently signed a multi-year deal with AEW.
When approached by WWE, Strickland directed them to his lawyer. The second incident was even more personal for Khan.
While his mother was in the hospital, WWE allegedly approached and spoke to William Regal, offering him a new role.
This direct tampering during a personal crisis for Khan is believed to be one of the primary reasons he took these allegations so personally.
William Regal’s AEW Exit
William Regal’s departure from AEW was another significant event in this saga. Regal had a long conversation with Khan, during which he expressed his desire to work alongside his son, Bailey Matthews.
This conversation took place while Khan was outside the Mayo Clinic, adding another layer to the personal nature of these events.
- What led to the personal rivalry between Tony Khan and WWE?
- Khan took WWE’s alleged contract tampering personally, especially when it occurred during his mother’s hospitalisation.
- Who are the AEW stars that WWE allegedly approached?
- Swerve Strickland and William Regal are two known AEW stars that WWE reportedly approached.
- How did Tony Khan react to William Regal’s AEW exit?
- Khan had a lengthy conversation with Regal, during which Regal expressed his wish to work with his son.
- What role did the Mayo Clinic play in this saga?
- Khan’s mother was hospitalised at the Mayo Clinic during the alleged tampering incidents, making the situation deeply personal for him.