Kelvin Gastelum and Robert Whittaker will be main eventing this weekend’s UFC Fight Night event. The two Middleweight fighters are arguably two of the strongest contenders for a title fight next, and Gastelum believes that the winner this weekend should get the next shot.
‘I think the winner of this fight gets the ’˜Izzy’ rematch,’ Gastelum told MMA Junkie during Wednesday’s media day at the UFC Apex.
Paulo Costa had to be pulled from the fight against Whittaker initially, and Kelvin Gastelum discussed why he jumped at the opportunity to main event this Fight Night card at the UFC APEX.
‘There was no hesitation whatsoever,’ Gastelum said. ‘’˜Let’s do it,’ you know? I was just kind of continuing off the last camp, and I feel even better than what I did in February.”
Kelvin Gastelum on Robert Whittaker
“I’m a much better version of that.” Gastelum continued. “I’m a much better version than I was two years ago, and I’m excited.’
Gastelum finished by saying how the fight will be explosive, with two men entering the octagon in their fighting prime. ‘Two guys that are entering their prime,’ Gastelum noted. ‘Where he’s highly skilled, I believe I have the skills to match it or be even better.”
“So the fight fans are in for a nice, nice fight you know” Gastelum concluded. “And that’s why I’ve always liked this fight, is just because I think the styles mesh up really well, and it’s going to be a really exciting fight.”
- MAIN EVENT: Robert Whittaker vs Kevin Gastellum (Middleweight)
- Jeremy Stephens vs Drakkar Close (Lightweight)
- Andrei Arlovski vs Chase Sherman (Heavyweight)
- Abdul Razak Alhassan vs Jacob Malkoun (Middleweight)
- Luis Pena vs Alexander Munoz (Lightweight)
- Ricardo Ramos vs Bill Algeo (Featherweight)
- Tracey Cortez vs Justine Kish (Flyweight)
- Alexandr Romanov vs Juan Espino (Heavyweight)
- Jessica Penne vs Lupita Godinez (Strawweight)
- Bartosz vs Fabinski vs Gerald Meerscharert (Middleweight)
- Zarah Fairn vs Josiane Nunes (Bantamweight)
- Tony Gravely vs Anthony Birchak (Bantamweight)
Also Check Out: