UFC have confirmed that Kamaru Usman will be taking on Gilbert Burns at UFC 258.
Kamaru Usman was originally meant to defend his Welterweight Championship against Burns at UFC 251. Unfortunately Burns would test positive for COVID-19, so the fight was then pushed to 256. Usman would then need ‘more time’ before the fight and it since has been moved to 258.
Usman comes into the fight off of a win against Jorge Masvidal. The Welterweight Champion took the win by decisive decision. That was Usman’s only fight in 2020, with wins over Tyron Woodley (where he won the Welterweight Title) and Colby Covington coming back in 2019.
Kamaru Usman vs Gilbert Burns
Gilbert Burns has gone undefeated since making the switch to the Welterweight division. Burns made the switch back to WW to face Alexey Kunchenko at Fight Night back in August. He would then go on to defeat Gunnar Nelson, Demian Maia and Tyron Woodley. The Maia and Woodley fights would earn the Performance of The Night accolades for Burns.
UFC 258 is set to take place in February at an as of yet undisclosed location. It is unlikely that Fight Island is the destination for the event at this point in time.
The current card for UFC 258 is as follows:
- UFC Welterweight Championship – Kamaru Usman (c) vs. Gilbert Burns
- Uriah Hall vs. Chris Weidman
- Ian Heinisch vs. Kelvin Gastelum
- Maycee Barber vs. Alexa Grasso
- Gabe Green vs. Phil Rowe
Also Check Out:
- A.J McKee ’“ ‘I’m the Floyd Mayweather of MMA, So I’m Looking To Make That Floyd Money’
- The UFC Reportedly Wants Jorge Masvidal vs. Colby Covington in 2021
- Conor McGregor Gives Training Update Ahead of UFC 257
- Michael Bisping Reveals His UFC Fight of The Year for 2020
- Jan Blachowicz vs Israel Adesanya Announced for UFC 259
- Paige VanZant Signs Contract For Debut BKFC Fight